Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Tummy Full of Lizards

Yep, you read the title right. No, not me, yuk! But this animal. Can you tell what it is?
Wait I'll zoom in and give you a better look. It's a heron on a light post in my front yard.


I'm not on waterfront property. In fact my back yard backs up to a four lane street with a Middle School on the other side. But here's this heron. He likes this corner.

Herons eat fish, lizards and stuff, and sometimes snakes! Yeah! (for those of you who read my older post.) Anyway, it still amazes me that these birds continue to roam the city instead of the beach. I suspect we have taken away most of their habitat, except by the beaches. Still, they still settle in certain spots, look for food and hang out.

You can always tell when they've eaten. (For ya'll not familiar with herons--You can see the bulge in their long neck and they shake their head to get it down. ) I like to watch them hunt. They stand perfectly still like a stick with the neck extended; when they spot something, the neck and head wave like a grass in the wind. Then it's all over.

Once satisfied, they perch and enjoy the scenery, like this one.

"For He has satisfied the thirsty soul, and the hungry soul He has filled with what is good." Psalm 107: 9

Life has problems. Things intrude in my "habitat" and bring uncertainty, fear or sadness. But like this bird, I must adapt, and turn to the "One" I know, who can satisfy my deepest needs. Then I can sit at the end of the day and be filled with good things from God.

But hey, I'm not eating any lizards.

P.S. Check out my last "extra" post to put things in perspective.

18 comments:

Karyn said...

OMG! I couldn't even post a comment to your blog the day the snake post was there...ewwwwww.

The Heron is beautiful, but what it eats would freak me out ;) I think I'll keep the snow and long winters of New England where the only snakes I have to worry about is the spooky garden hose that, every so often, I see out of the corner of my eye and jump :) only to realize it is not a green snake!

Hugs
Ma

Parsley said...

I just love watching nature. Great post.

Bina said...

What a beautiful tribute to God's beauty. I love birds...even if they do eat things that make me cringe! :)

Kathryn Magendie said...

There are so many of them in Louisiana - I love watching them, too -- beautiful birds!

Jean Wise said...

There is a real lesson in after nourishment to perch and enjoy the scenery. I rush too much, gulp down my food and forget to pause and breath. This heron has the right idea except for his diet. I bet he likes your backyard due to the large snake population!

Johnnie Alexander said...

Karen, there is no one in the world who sees the world quite like you! (That's a compliment*)

Karen said...

Karyn, not fair you don't have snakes! I thought everyone did, except in New Zealand. For that I'm jealous. But I love the birds here.

Parsley, yes, God's creation always inspires me.

Bina, I love them, too. They can be so graceful, unless you look in their mouth.

Kathryn, yes those and Pelicans! :)

Jeanie, I think we all rush too much. But the snakes in my yard are growing to big. These only eat baby ones....sigh...

Johnnie, lol...I know dear friend, you wrote that as a compliment--thank you. But it was funny. I laughed!

Hilary said...

I've only ever seen herons (the Great Blue and the Night Heron) by the water around here... fishing exactly as you described. Very cool pics.

Libbie said...

Oh I do hope that heron finds that snake in your bushes :) That would give her a tasty treat! Do you have a name for her?

I like your new look! It surprised me! I am not as daring...I stick to the same ole' thing :)

Dave said...

Take care of your heron Jane 'cause he'll probably fly down here to New Zealand soon, then return to you later. Has that happened before? - Dave

Dave said...

Sorry Karen, I called you the wrong name. (red face....:-) )

Karen said...

Hilary, you could take some wonderful pics here!! We have bald eagles and ospreys....

Libbie, no, no name, but I think my snake is too big for her to eat...whimper...

Dave, they really migrate that far? Wow! Amazing.

Janean said...

we're in the midwest and see herons all the time! they come to drink from our lake and stream...

didn't know they ate lizards. yay!

Auntie Cake said...

Hi Karen,
Hopefully the heron will have had found your "friend" who was hiding in the bushes. I have never seen a heron digesting its food before, I will have to watch more closely next summer. And I love the verse on your sidebar, I think that is becoming more and more important with each passing day...

Take care, have a wonderful weekend!
Kate

Karen said...

Janean, thanks for stopping by. Yes, eat all kinds of yucky stuff. :)

Kate, it's really amazing when they eat fish, it has to go down head first to avoid the fins. Have fun watching. I agree with you about the verse. Blessings**

Deb said...

Lizards. Ick!

But some chocolate cake right now.

Or anything chocolate would be so wonderful.

Just to let you know, I stepped on the scale this week for the first time in a long, long time.

Well, it's not my natural habitat. Ok?

I know. I know. I've got to adapt.

And didn't your blog use to be brown?

Am liking this look.

Sweet dreams.

Jeanette said...

I am terrified of birds but I also find them so interesting. I had to read your post with one eye closed but have to admit it was very interesting.

Oh thank you for stopping in and visiting our Red Neck Easter

Karen said...

Deb, I'll take chocolate anytime. Yes, I changed the background, when I finally got enough courage to try. (with a little help from friends.)

Jeanette, I'm glad you were able to read it, even with one eye...teehee... Have a good day!