Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Are Ya Droopy?


Gardenias. I love their look, color and smell. I have two giant bushes, about six-feet high. They always produce a multitude of flowers each spring. This year is no exception.

But there's a problem. The branches flower so much that they pull the bush downward. Then when it rains the white flowers drag the ground, heavy with water. (See this picture below.) Each year, after blooming I trim the branches back. They just love this spot in my yard and do well without much maintenance. Uh ummm, or no maintenance....for those who know me.




"Now when Jesus heard it, He withdrew from there in a boat, to a lonely place by Himself."Matthew 14:13


"And in the early morning, while it was still dark, He arose and went out and departed to a lonely place, and was praying there." Mark 1:35


The past few months, some bloggers that I follow needed to stop a while for rest and regrouping. They had good substance and followers, but the "fruits of their labors" and life became heavy. And that's okay. Even Jesus took time for himself when needed.


No, I'm not stopping, my point is that just as creation needs cutting back, sometimes so do we. And like my gardenia plants, we will come back better.


So all ya'll take care of yourselves and take time for yourselves.


Photo: karenevans

13 comments:

Wendy Paine Miller said...

When you compare it to a gardenia bush it makes it sound all the more appealing.

Reminds me of God's grafting.
~ Wendy

Parsley said...

Good post. Yes we all get 'droopy' or weary sometimes. It's understandable.

Couldn't help but think of the dog cartoon character 'Droopy'. Hmm...my mind and dogs.

Two Shades of Pink said...

What a lovely, sweet post. I really don't rest as much as I need to and especially not in the Lord as I should. And thank you for stopping by to say hi...my FL neighbor!
Blessings, Jessica

Diane said...

I did need to recharge there for a while. Thanks f or the OK to not feel bad. :O)

Unknown said...

This was the perfect post for me today, Karen...as the weight of my branches has become too heavy for me to bear....

Karen said...

Wendy, ah yes, the grafting--a whole 'nother post, huh?

Parsley, you are too cute! I always thought that cartoon character was funny.

Jessica, thanks a bunch for coming by-I think we all need "permission" to care for ourselves, inside and out. :)

Diane, oh, you're most welcome. No problem here. :)

Sara, I hope you will stop for refreshing and refilling for yourself. Blessings, friend.

Auntie Cake said...

I can relate! I needed last week to just be with my family and enjoy ordinary days. I figured I didn't have anything special to say anyways, I don't talk just to talk, so I shouldn't type just to type. I am actually more of a listener in real life! I learn a lot more that way!

Enjoy the rest of the week!
Kate

Janean said...

sweet, karen i want to thank you for Scripture.

1. it coincides with a letter we got today about taking a sabbatical.
2. it reminds me (and i need this often) that i have limited energy, time...and, uh...brain power! so i must set limits.

i think i'm in the cutting back stage. it's uncomfortable, but i'll come back better.

hugs

Jean Wise said...

wow love the gardenias and the beautiful illustration. We all need rest and pruning to bear fruit don't we? Thanks for the great reminder

Dave said...

Hi Karen. Thanks. I'm about to do just that... Hope your gardenia survives. - Dave

Jeanette Levellie said...

Gardenias are my favorite flower, Karen. You and I have lots in common.

Take it easy--we will miss you, but thankful you are allowing yourself this rest.

Love
Jen

Karen said...

Kate, you are right. Family times come and go, writing is always here.

Janean, if you need the time, take it-without guilt. If you're burned out, you don't help anyone.

Jeanie, thanks for the sweet words. Love ya.

Dave, enjoy your relaxing. Yes, my gardenias did survive. I just have to wait to cut them back. :)

Jeanette, oh, you like them too? Yeah! Dear friend, I'm not taking time off, just reflecting on the present situation of many. Right now, I'm okay. Blessings**

Beth Mann said...

Oh, I just love this analogy...and I was definitely "droopy" a few months ago! I think we absolutely need to encourage each other to take breaks and remind ourselves that it's OKAY! :) Happy Weekend!