Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Tarpon Springs Sponges

Tarpon Springs is just a few miles north of where I live in FL. This town was incorporated in 1887 by Greek immigrants. Sponges are their main tourist attraction. (Although the food and tourist stores are great, too.)Boats are available to take you out where you can watch them dive for the sponges.

This Greek gentleman cleans and trims new sponges to sell. Most of the sponges are not this color, they must be dyed, first. He cuts the excess parts that are rough or unsightly and cleans out the rocks.
Here are just a few types that they have for sale. In the stores they tell you that the more you use the sponges the cleaner and better they get. Just be sure to squeeze the excess water out. They are supposed to last a long, long time.

"And the things which you have heard from me in the presence of many witnesses, these entrust to faithful men, who will be able to teach others also." 2 Timothy 2:2

Do I sit and learn-like a sponge, yet I never squeeze that blessing out to others? Father, dye and clip me to be the "vessel" for Your use. Don't let me sit, soak and sour.

Photos:karenevans

14 comments:

Jean Wise said...

Reminds me just how creative God is and resourceful too.

Kathy Cassel said...

May we all be sponges!

I should visit there. Always looking for something new.

Karyn said...

Wow, that got me thinking, Karen, as always :) No wonder I feel so heavy and jaded sometimes, I definitely forget to squeeze the blessings out to others, and I wonder why. Is it laziness on my part or do I get so caught up in the day to day drama that surrounds us, or is it that we are being more and more programmed to remain silent as children of the Lord in a effort to remain "politically correct."
You have given me food for thought :) Thanks, dear friend.
XOXO
Ma

Parsley said...

Great post as usual. "Don't let me sit, soak, and sour." So true. And I need to let God fill me up to overflowing so I can squeeze that out to give to others.

Wendy Paine Miller said...

You are so great about prompting this visuals to sink in or should I say soak in? ;)
~ Wendy

Libbie said...

Hmmmm...do I have to really answer that? Even to myself :) Not good I am afraid...I soak in WAYYYY more that I squeeze out...hey maybe that is why I am so puffy right now :) lots to think about Karen :) I will work hard on squeezing myself out this week! Thanks for the reminder that I could use everyday :) ! Wish we had some of that sunshine from your pictures!!! Lots of school cancelled here today from an ice & then snow storm...what I wouldn't do for one drop of that sun!!!

Lewis said...

Karen,

Reading this blog makes us miss Florida. We miss you guys.

Karen said...

Jeanie, I know-makes me feel so wasteful.

Kathy, it's a nice small place, but very interesting.

Ma T-I do the same thing. I get lazy and just absorb. This lesson is for me.

Parsley, I think you do a good job with that already!

Wendy, snicker....thanks

Ummmm, Libbie, I don't think that's why you are "puffy" right now. :) Wow, snow still. Why don't ya'll just come on down and visit?

Lewis, ya'll too. You need a vacation. :)

Tracey said...

That is a GREAT thought!
A similar analogy I have heard is that we need to let the blessings keep flowing out of us like a stream, if we don't we'll become like a stagnant pond.
Either way it is a great reminder.
What beautiful pictures too. It looks warm...that's what I am dreaming of...warm weather. :)

Dave said...

This was very educational Karen. We don't get natural sponges here I don't think. I found your post interesting - Dave

Stephanie Faris said...

I don't know that I ever realized sponge-making was so complex!

Melinda said...

Amen, sister! Love your insights, as always. :)

Missed you at FCWA this year. Lots going on at home for me and it just wasn't the right time for me to be gone. I felt complete peace about it. But missed seeing all of you Kindred Hearts! ;)

Anonymous said...

Very interesting post. I recently watched an old movie a few weeks ago about Greek sponge divers who lived and worked on an island. One of the stars was a young Robert Wagner.

Karen said...

Tracey, I like that analogy, too. I hope warm breezes come your way soon!

Dave, thanks. I don't know locations where they all grow, either.

Stephanie, it's fun to go and watch.

Melinda, missed you too. I know you had a lot going on. Blessings, sweetie.

Afsoon, thank you, I'll visit!

Ron, yes, I've heard of that movie, but haven't seen it.