Monday, May 23, 2011

Summertime Recipe


Yummo, summer tomatoes! Hunsader Farms opened their farms early to u-pick as many immigrant pickers did not return to pick this year. (Because of our crack down on illegals.) Anyway, hubby and I went and picked a bushel and 1/2 of tomatoes for $3.00, yes $3.00!!
That basket is a bushel. These are just a few all laid out on the patio table.

So here's my most favorite recipe for summer tomatoes. (I had posted this before, but I can't help it-it's just soooo good!)

Tomato Mozzarella Toast

2 pounds fresh tomatoes (about 5 cups)
1/4 cup olive oil
1/3 cup thinly sliced fresh basil or chopped parsley
1 teaspoon minced garlic
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
8 thin slices of prosciutto or ham
1 cup (8 oz) shredded mozzarella cheese

Preheat broiler. Core tomatoes and chop. In large bowl, combine tomatoes, 2 tablespoons of the olive oil, basil, garlic, salt and pepper. Let stand at least 30 minutes. Slice rolls in half horizontally, then vertically. Brush cut side of bread with the remaining olive oil, place on a shallow pan and broil until golden. Reserve about 1/3 cup of tomato mixture; spoon remaining mixture on rolls. Top each with 2 slices of prosciutto, 1/4 cup of mozzarella. Add equal amounts of reserved tomato mixture on top. Broil until cheese melts, about 3 minutes. Serve immediately! Quick before the cook eats it all.
Serves 4.

"Who gives food to all flesh, for His lovingkindness is everlasting." Psalm 136:25

I'm glad He created tomatoes!

photos:karenevans

11 comments:

Hilary said...

It sounds yummy, Karen. If you want another very simple but delicious side dish, try this:

Cut tomatoes into solid slices. Mix mayonnaise (or Miracle Whip) with freshly minced garlic (to taste) and add a dollop of that to each slice and spread evenly. Grind a bit of pepper on each one and top generously with shredded cheddar cheese. And that's all. It's very tasty.

Kathryn Magendie said...

Your comment made me laugh - I was thinking the same thing when I wrote about Lil Boop being proud and there I was in the Mee Maw bra *LAUGHING!*

those tomatoes are GORGEOUS - and I am trying that recipe -- LOOOVE tomato and basil!

Jean Wise said...

Great recipe and great message. can't believe you got so many tomatoes for such a low price!

Diane said...

My mom used to love those tomato sandwiches. I am not a tomato lover but they do look yum! :O)

Linda Hoye said...

Fresh tomatoes! Nothing like it! The recipe sounds delish!

Anonymous said...

Nothing like the fresh taste of tomatoes. Love all that red!

nick said...

Luv U-pick (and U-pick-while-you eat) farms, especially berry farms. Although I tend not to pick-while-you-eat these days due to pesticides on the berries. Been busy, but will email you, thanks Karen

Jeanette Levellie said...

OH, yum!!! I'll be right over!!! I hated tomatoes as a child, then tasted some from a garden. Aha. Not the same at all. Now I grow them myself, and love 'em.

Stephanie Faris said...

Those look great. I love buying fresh produce...unfortunately nobody sells it on my way home from work, or I'd be all over it!

Karen said...

Hilary, that sounds great too! I love tomatoes with just about anything. :P

Kathryn, you are sooo cute! Hope you enjoy this recipe.

Jeanie, I know! That's what made the hour drive there, worth it.

Diane, my daughter isn't a fan of tomatoes, either. But they are wonderful.

Linda, and LadyFi, thanks they are good.

Nick, I love the berries, too. Just email me when you get time.

Jeanette, oh, you grow them yourself. How cool!!

Stephanie, we have several fresh veggie and fruit stands around, but nothing as fresh as picking them off the vines yourself.

Dave said...

Those tomatoes were sure good value at that price Karen. And your recipe sounds great! - Dave