Friday, March 9, 2012

Side-Steppin'

 
Birds love our oak and palm trees. Therefore we find little white spots on the ground that I try to "side-step." This is what I saw walking with Major outside. Can you spot it?
I walked around it but Major went in to give it a sniff. Taking his cue, I went over to shoo him on.
I took a second look and this is what that spot was.
It was a gorgeous white moth. If you click and enlarge it, he looks like he has feathers on his head. He's all pristine and altogether lovely in among those awful pollen weeds. If I hadn't taken the time to stop and look, I'd've missed him.

And wouldn't you know it, the Lord used this to show me where I did miss an opportunity.

I was leaving a hardware store and in the parking lot walking towards me was a person in baggy, dirty clothes with a baggy old cap. I couldn't tell if it was a man or woman until she spoke.

"Do you have any change?" she asked.

I quickly walked to my car, not answering. There was a YaYa's Chicken Restaurant just a bit down in the same parking lot. I don't like giving out money-not knowing what's it's for-but I should've asked if she was hungry. (I know in today's society we have to be careful, but hubby was with me.)

Why didn't I offer the food? Huh? Why? I might have missed something beautiful, or at the very least fed someone who was hungry. I totally side-stepped her.  What if she was an "angel unawares?"

"But to each one is given the manifestation of the Spirit for the common good." I Corinthians 12:7

Father, may I respond to Your Spirit for the good of others. Keep my feet from side-stepping.
photos:karenrevans

9 comments:

Autumn said...

Oh wow. Lessons here for us all. Not sure what I would have done but I do hope too, that God will direct me.

P.S. Got a new puppy! :-)

Unknown said...

Your heart is good and that is what God cares about most. You were acting on instinct and it was probably a good one. Don't make yourself feel guilty. Chances are really, really high the money you would have given her would have gone to alcohol or drugs. Supporting charities is the best way to go. Don't put yourself in danger! (Love the moth!)

Anonymous said...

What a lovely treasure!

BeautifulDees said...

Yes dont put yourself in danger...you do have a great heart. The moth is so neat.
Love,Debbie:)

Kathy Cassel said...

Sometimes it's hard to know what to do because people do take advantage of others. I think offering to buy the food is a good option. And there will be other chances.

momto8 said...

I have taken the position that if someone asks me for money, I give it to them. I have never regretted giving money away.
the moth is a very cool picture..what symmetry too...makes me ask..how can anyone ever doubt?
i am your newest follower..pls follow back if you can.

Johnnie Alexander said...

Karen, that is such a lovely photo. What an unusual moth. And I agree with everyone else. You have such a tender heart that there must have been a reason for walking on.

Karen said...

Autumn, love that new puppy!

Kelly, thanks. So hard to know, isn't it?

Lady Fi, I thought he was gorgeous!

Thanks Debbie...but still I wonder.

Kathy, I know you are right-there will be other times. We have a lot of homeless here because of our warm weather--and lots of housing...

Momt08, thanks for following-God thinks of all things down to the last detail. :)

Johnnie, you're too sweet,....still....

Libbie said...

Hi Karen! I have been over twice to visit & catch up & twice my boys have pulled me away before I got his far...so I waited till they were sound alseep this time! :)

Oh sidesteppin' I always am haunted by what you don't do for the least of these you don't do for me...I am sure I totally butchered that! I often wonder...what am I not doing? Lots comes to mind!!! I sometimes wonder too what blessings that God had for me I am missing because I didn't act... work in progress here!