Wednesday, August 11, 2010

What the Hay?

This elephant is walking around with a bunch of hay on her back. Does she know that? Maybe it's for a snack later, so she won't have to come back to the front of the pen? Or is it to keep the flies and bugs off?

I know,....the other elephant snuck up behind her and gently put it on her back while she was sleeping. Now she walks in front of the "hayed" elephant, so she can't see her snickering.

"Pile your troubles on God's shoulders--he'll carry your load, he'll help you out." Psalm 55:22 (Message)

Is my pile of hay obvious to others and not to me? What burden do I feel I need to keep close, for security, or because "I can handle it," instead of placing it on God's shoulders?

Father, help me shake off the hay and walk confidently next to you.

Photo:karenevans at Busch Gardens, FL

10 comments:

Diane said...

Love that picture and the humor you found in it. I can just imagine that other elephant sneaking up to put the hay on. :O)

Wendy Paine Miller said...

I've got a load of hay I need to shake. I pray God helps.

I love that you came up with this--made a story from this scene.
~ Wendy

alicia said...

When I looked at the picture I wondered where you could possibly be going with this... Love this analogy, and yes, I'd like to get rid of some hay.

Donna M. Kohlstrom said...

I need to stop for a moment and have my hubby check what the "load of hay" is that's been weighing me down lately! Then I need to have him help me lift it off and turn it over to the Lord!

I wonder how long we wander around with our "loads of hay" before we realize they are there???

Jean Wise said...

We need eyes on the back of our heads to see the hay piled up on our backs don't' we? Lots to think about: do we put the hay there, do others sneak up and pile it on us and what can't we shake it off? mmmm, good thought provoking writing, Karen

Karen said...

Diane, teehee....

Wendy, what'd'ya say? I'm brushin a strand of straw off my head.

Alicia, I know...my mind is quirky. :P

Donna, why is that so hard for us/me to give it to the Lord? Let me know if you see some on me.

Jeanie, thank you, I think hay gets there both ways. :)

Jeanette Levellie said...

You are so cute. We visited the So. Calif. Busch Gardens on our honeymoon, and I have a photo of a parrot taking a peanut out of my mouth!

Thanks for encouraging us to leave our hay on Jesus' back. He can handle it.

Love
Jen

Dave said...

A nice little 'sermon' Karen, well sewn together. - Dave

Libbie said...

I did smile thinking of another elephant sneaking the hay on. That is what would happen to me around here :)

Karen said...

Jeanette, oh, post that picture! I'm so glad He does handle the hay.

Dave, thank you.

Libbie,....chuckle...I can understand that. But I laughed watching that elephant and just had to take the pic. :)