Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Mid-Week Two Fer

Well, I looked through some of my cookbooks for other recipes and look what I found. (Granted it was published in 1970 in the Bayou Cuisine, It's Tradition and Transition.) But hey, I could make this with probably less than a dollar a person.




Steamed Frog Legs



24 frog legs
1 cup chopped mushrooms
1/4 cup chopped shallots
1/4 cup chopped parsley
salt and pepper
dry white wine


Flour frog legs and saute in butter delicately brown on either side. Season. Sprinkle with parsley and brown thoroughly. In separate skillet, saute the mushrooms and shallots and sprinkle with wine. When vegetables are tender add legs, cover and let them steam for a few minutes: serve immediately.


Okay, two problems: I could never catch, much less find that many frogs. Second, I'm not sure I'd like the dish. I've eaten fried frog legs, much like chicken-but steamed? Oh, one more, how do you humanely kill a frog? Never mind I won't try this one!

"The heart of her husband trusts in her...." Proverbs 31:11


I know my hubbie would not be pleased with that one either. So I know there are more ideas out there. I'd love it if you would send them on over.


No longer living on the bayou

Photo-Vector Clip Art

4 comments:

Wendy Paine Miller said...

Cracking me up. I'd be tempted to rip the recipe from the cookbook and frame it! :D
~ Wendy

Kathy Cassel said...

I will pass on the frog legs.

Jeanette Levellie said...

Oh my goodness, how funny! I love this, Karen.

I bought a cookbook today called "Cheap and Easy." I will send you some of the recipes.

Karen said...

Wendy, I didn't tell you about the black bird and armadillo recipes. Maybe I'll do those another time...snicker.

Kathy-me too, although fried it's not too bad.

Jeanette, it's amazing what people eat even today! Sure, I'd love a few recipes. Thanks.