Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Leafy Sea Dragons


This delicate yellow dragon won't scare anybody. In fact they have to hide from us!


Their unusual leaf-shaped appendages and color make them a target for collectors.


These cousins of the sea horse live off the southern and eastern coast of Australia. Swimming is not their forte so they roll with the currents. When they do swim, it's slow and awkward. God gave them protection by hiding them seaweed and kelp.

I read they eat mysids, which is sea lice. Yuk, I like the word mysids better.

The Florida Aquarium in Tampa housed these beauties.

"For in the day of trouble He will conceal me in His tabernacle; in the secret place of His tent He will hide me; He will lift me up on a rock." Psalms 27:5


O Lord, you know sometimes I'm a rollin' with the currents and find it hard to swim. Thank you, You gave me a tabernacle, tent and rock instead of seaweed.

Photos:karenrevans



11 comments:

Jean Wise said...

Isn't God so creative? and someone has to eat those sea lice. YUCK! Glad it isn't me.

bekahjane said...

Very nice!

Kathy Cassel said...

Please send me your mailing address for the kid's books you won.
kathycassel@knology.net

Jeanette Levellie said...

Oh, I love that gorgeous yellow! He looks like a hat feather just waiting for a hat to perch upon!

Thanks for the photo talent, and the wisdom,
Jen

Julie Gillies said...

Hi Karen,

I saw these at the Florida Aquarium and simply could not believe my eyes. These creatures are an amazing representation of our amazing, creative God.

Love your prayer, too! I'll take a tent or a rock over seaweed any day. :-)

Hugs to you, friend.

Dave said...

They are a fish? Amazing Karen. I have never heard of them - Dave

Anonymous said...

Wow - what an amazing creature!

Stephanie Faris said...

Ooooh cool!

Karen said...

Jeanie, yeah, me too!

Bekahjane thanks for stopping in and following!

Kathy, thanks so much. I did. :)

Jeanette, you are right, I never thought about that. A feather horse!

Julie are they amazing. I saw plenty of other strange things that you might see later, too. :)

Dave they are a cousin of seahorses and only grow to 14 inches.

Lady Fi and Steph, I agree!

alicia said...

Amazing all the different creatures God has in His creation! Love this, Karen!

Tracey said...

Great post! I always enjoy your insights. God's creativity never ceases to amaze me.