Sunday, July 1, 2012

Marine Museum: Giving Thanks

When visiting my son and his family in Virginia a few weeks ago, we went to the Marine Museum. Impressive even from the outside.

As you walk in the lobby you first approach the rotunda where pictures, quotes, air and land vehicles with Marine mannequins are posed.

Each mannequin is so very life-like. Here my grandson is learning what it took to keep our country safe and free.

Here is my son wearing a shirt that reads, "We fight what you fear."


This entire wall is dedicated to those who died at Iwo Jima. A pin signifies each person. There were panels above and below. Hard to believe so many died at one battle.

This is the flag that flew over Iwo Jima. (Hard to get a good picture with all the lights and reflections.)

The exhibits were impressive and many had orginal equipement. (I have many more pics...but I'll spare you. :P)

Made me proud to see this wonderful museum. Made me proud of our country. Makes me proud to live here.

"Fight the good fight of faith." 1 Timothy 6:12

Yes, we do have to fight in this life. Even in our faith. Father, help me to be strong and wise in all battles.

Oh, here's one of my favorite pictures.
My grandkids. :)

HAPPY JULY 4th!!

Photos:krevans

4 comments:

Hilary said...

Fine photos, Karen. It must be very touching to see these things in person. The mannequins are indeed lifelike.

It's the day for Americans and Canadians to be patriotic (today is Canada Day). Happy 4th to you and yours.

Kathy Cassel said...

I just left a comment early that we were missing you in bloggy world and here you are back. Your grandchildren are adorable. The museum looks interesting. You'll have to go back when they are older and they'll have a new perspective on it.

Parsley said...

Wow. Great place to visit this time of year. I thought the soldier was a real person acting for the museum!

Auntie Cake said...

My son would flip out to visit that museum! He is slightly obsessed with WWII, and we are spending the summer visitng WWII vets. It is amazing how many people gave up their lives for us.

Hope you had a wonderful 4th of July with your family. It was kind of quiet here, pool party at Rach's (my other sister)house, and although there were around 40 people there, it still didn't seem like the 4th of July.

Good to hear from you, I am spending the summer reading away. It has been hot, hot, hot here. Last night my mom met up with people from Mexico City. They couldn't believe how hot and unbearable it was here. Much hotter than in Mexico City. I don't mind the hot weather, but my gardens are crying for some rain.

Enjoy your week, hope it is a good one!
Kate