Monday, May 21, 2012

Florida Highwaymen Artist-R.L. Lewis


 Robert Lewis is one of the original "Florida Highwaymen" artists, and has been inducted in the Florida Hall of Fame for Artists. He is one of a group of African-American painters from the 1950's and 1960's who continues to paint Florida landscapes. Unable to sell their paintings in galleries at that time, they sold them from the trunks of their cars along the highway.

This jovial, gregarious man talked, answered numerous questions, and painted at the same time. His technique is wet-on-wet. Below is the progression of one of his paintings.

The artist painting only from his mind, none of us knowing the outcome.


Here's hubby, pretending he didn't know he was in the picture. :P


 The end result. Amazing! I can't imagine fending off questions and still completing this wonderful painting.

Robert Lewis, age 71, is an example of persevering and believing. I feel privileged to have witnessed this.


"For I am confident of this very thing, that He who began a good work in you will perfect it until the day of Christ Jesus." Philippians 1:6  

May I remember that the Master's hand is still holding my wet paintbrush, until He signs my portrait.

photos:karenrevans

8 comments:

Jean Wise said...

FAscinating story, Karen and could easily be a great profile for a magazine

Dave said...

Robert's painting is wonderful Karen. Wish I could paint like that - Dave

Clella said...

Karen, I so enjoyed this post. Would make a great article for a Florida magazine...check into it. As always, you have taken the everyday and made it special. Love Clella

Jeanette Levellie said...

Oh, how lovely! Thanks for sharing the progression. I'm so glad you got to meet this wonderful guy, and I love your analogy, as always.

Jen

Anonymous said...

Wow - he's a very talented artist.

Hilary said...

What a treat to encounter and interact with this artist. And to see his work to completion. Thanks for this.

Kathy Cassel said...

Missing you on blog. Must be having a busy, busy summer.

Karen said...

Thanks for all the comments, ya'll. Yes, Kathy, my summer has been hectic. Thanks for hanging with me.

Blessings***